On talking about hypocrisy (was Re: [governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon May 6 12:36:37 EDT 2013

Hypocrisy is a real problem of the real world, and I would be very
surprised if there's anyone among us who can look back onto their life
and truthfully say that they have never been hypocritical. Maybe the
best we can do is to be aware that this is a pervasive problem, and
try to minimize its impact as much as we reasonably can, similar to how
we have procedures designed for limiting the impact of personal bias.

In regard to bias there is a huge body of literature on how to deal
with the issue; that includes advice which empowers to talk about the
problem area without automatically offending people.

Is someone here able to recommend something insightful about dealing
with challenges related to the issue of hypocrisy?

When Jesus talked to his disciples about their personal, very very
human, challenges in regard to hypocrisy, he did that as a trusted
mentor; when he talked to the Pharisees about their hypocrisy, that was
after (for quite independent reasons) there was no realistic chance
anymore of a constructive relationship with them.

But how does one talk about issues related to this problem area among
peers, without taking needless risks of the conversation degenerating
into name-calling or accusations of name-calling, etc?

Greetings,
Norbert

Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for calling those you disagree with hypocrites.
>
> As far as i am concerned the members of every group are responsible
> for calling for transparency within their own groups.
>
> And what does this have to do with gendered issues (geese, ganders?)
>
> avri
>

> On 6 May 2013, at 09:41, michael gurstein wrote:
>
> > Ah yes, we must insist on openness for the geese but not for the
> > ganders or is it vice versa, I'm afraid I always forget in this
> > piling of hypocrisy upon hypocrisy... or if some find this
> > statement rather too bald/bold -- we must insist that you do as I
> > say, not as I do...

Recommendations for effective and contructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person
2. Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept