[governance] How to address political economy issues? (was Re: Internet as a commons/public good)

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat May 4 08:03:25 EDT 2013

On 4 May, 2013, at 3:20 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

>> If people have to go elsewhere to talk about and articulate political
>> economy issues with respect to the global Internet and its
>> governance, it is not a good thing. For one, there seems to be no
>> elsewhere to go right now. That is a gap which may need to be filled.
>
> Talking and articulating positions can be done here, even if the
> resulting statements do not reach consensus or rough consensus.
>
> If there is a desire for IGC to set up an infrastructure for developing
> advocacy statements beyond what IGC is able to agree on by consensus
> or rough consensus (I'm thinking of sign-on statements that would
> have the support of some subset of the IGC members), I don't see any
> reason why that couldn't be done. In fact this might be the best
> possible interpretation of what the IGC mission statement says about
> providing a forum for advocacy.

Best Bits uses that exact model. We endeavour to produce a consensus, but at the end of the day anyone can opt out because the statements are not from Best Bits as a collective, they are from the named signatories who attended a Best Bits meeting (in person or remotely). So that's one of several reasons why I didn't think Best Bits was duplicating the IGC.