[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu May 2 13:43:21 EDT 2013

I will not nitpick arguments, but MMs position is something Libertarian
and/or New Institutionalist (seems not to me like that of Galbraith or
Richard Ely or Thorstein Veblen, but I may be wrong). On this basis, the
argument put forth by MM are not convincing, aside from my libertarian
critique or New Institutional critique, which relates to assuming that
contracts signed between two consenting parties is just that, a
bilateral arrangement made under conditions of 'freedom' or liberty. The
presumption here is that there are no externalities generated by such a
contract. There can be many externalities to such arrangements (to
pre-empt I am not against the private sector when it delivers the
'goods'). There are external effects, such as the net neutrality
position put forward below, i.e. the arrangement generates an
externality. In this case it simply happens to relate to Net Neutrality,
but externalities can be of many forms, for example as Curran posted the
action taken against a website that was found to be legal in Spain but
not in the US, justifying take down.

Cognisant of the fact that there are positive and negative
externalities, and that circumstances are novel, some Darwinian
selection is needed (increase fecundity), and so some leeway is needed.
However I simply cannot start off from the presumption that bilateral
arrangements are liberty or freedom (it is a particular type of freedom
with a particular kind of voluntrism, everyone is free to sleep under
bridges, as Louis put it) and interference with it is presumptively bad.
We can see what this light touch freedom has done to Americans in
finance - the conservative system was broken down, innovation in finance
occurred because of free contracts in the name of efficiency,
consequently the US is back to home ownership levels pre-1995. If this
can happen in finance, it can happen in any sector. Therefore, from just
one vantage, that of externalities much more will need to be adduced to
be convincing on this point.

And since it also boils down to law in the end. One cannot understand
the law except with the exception - the totality - or Das Ganz. So from
this vantage the private only has meaning if we articulate what we mean
by public. One without the other is like, one hand clapping...

Riaz