[governance] Final composition of the CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Mar 30 08:26:21 EDT 2013

On 30 Mar 2013, at 07:17, parminder wrote:

>> One keeps hoping that you and your ilk will one day learn to conduct an open host discussion in the democratic tradition.

I tend to consider Adam and me of a similar Ilk*, I hope this belief of mine does not offend him (and this note certainly does not speak for him)

> sorry, open honest not host

I beleive that people of our ilk do participate openly and honestly in discussions.

I also believe that we recognize 'gotcha' arguments when they are used. They have been a fundamental argument style of a certain type of politician since rhetoric was first described, and probably even before.

You are arguing that they are a way of making power accountable, and in some adversarial circumstances I agree that they might even be the correct tool to use.  In an open and honest discussion among civil society peers, I  beleive they are a way to back your peers up against the wall and make them unwilling to engage.  I beleive they become a barrier to open honest discussion and are the mark of hostile discussion.

avri

* Ilk - type, sort, class, category, group, set,breed, strain, bracket, genre, make, model,kind, brand, vintage, stamp, style, family,variety.