AW: AW: [governance] Tallin Manual - a Cyber Warfare convention?

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed Mar 27 04:40:27 EDT 2013

Parminder:
But these discussions in the GGE have two problems: (1) They are rather non transparent, and non inclusive of outside
participation; (2) Cyber warfare and security issues get discussed in isolation from connected cyber issues of human rights, big data, big Internet business, cross border data flows and so on.

Wolfgang:
I fully agree. If it comes to security issues "MSs" is just lip service.

Parminder:
A UN CIRP (Committee on Internet related Policies) as a space for cross cutting discussions on all Internet related policy issues, in a manner that is more transparent and has better multistakeholder participation.

Wolfgang:
I disagree. To move it from one governmental body to another governmental body is not the solution and a CTRP has too many risks for collatoral damages. My proposal would be to bring those issues to the IGF agenda (both to the Bali IGF as well as to the regional IGFs in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Africa etc.). The Tallin Manual is a good justification to bring more light into the darkness of those discussions. We could start (like in the GGE) to discuss "confidence building measures" and to  move forward to the hidden issues of the risk of a new cyber arms race and its implocations for a free, open, secure and borderless Internet.