[governance] Call for Consensus [Draft Workshop Proposals]

Vanda Scartezini vanda at uol.com.br
Thu Mar 21 08:45:26 EDT 2013

Supporting proposals 1+2
Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464

From:  Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org>
Date:  quarta-feira, 20 de março de 2013 23:54
To:  "governance at lists.igcaucus.org" <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
Subject:  Re: [governance] Call for Consensus [Draft Workshop Proposals]

+1 proposal 1
+-1 proposal 2

As for deadline extension, I already wrote in different thread, but will
repeat
here - it will likely be extended till Mar 25, but not end of March. There
might
be some "flexibility" but better hurry and close it now.

This proposal is just an "expression of intent", not a detailed one.
Given that, I support the Proposal 1, and like to support the Proposal 2
as a placeholder, but need much improvement/consensus, and in case
any better proposals as Adam mentioned comes out, we might even
withdraw this.

As for the Proposal 1, I strongly suggest to use the term "Multistakeholder"
explicitly, for title,  50-character limit is just a guideline, not a strict
rule, and
for description. It is the central word/concept of this workshop.

Also in the description, there is no mention about MSG selection as subject,
but only "accountability and transparency" which may not make sense to
someone
outside.
I also think 90 min panel format is not sufficient for this broad and
important topic.
How about first 90 min Panel (or round table) and add second one as
free-form
discussion ? We can discuss and decide this later, of course.

As for the Proposal 2, I have some question about the format of the
question:
"Whether traditional telecom regulations, norms and institutions apply to
the Internet or not"

To me, this question itself is wrong.  I think one camp is trying to
strengthen or evolve
the existing (not quite "traditional" ) regulatory framework to cover new
services
such as Internet-based ones and mobile etc.  Other camp is trying to
maintain
the existing (in a way it is also Internet tradition)  non-regulatory
framework
for Internet (critical resources and services based on Internet) especially
in
the "global" and/or "transnational" or "cross-border" issues.

Here, it is not "traditional or new" question, but different ideas about how
state
sovereignty or government power should be applied on global policy issues.

I have no alternative suggestion as yet, but making a too simplistic
argument
may reach wrong destination, I am afraid.

izumi

Paque <ginger at paque.net>; Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>

the table to iron out differences over the coming months so that what we see in
Bali is joint declarations of specific common grounds for consensus and enhanced
cooperation, with commitments from different stakeholder groups that say we are
cooperating in such and such a manner and are now sharing results and a way
forward.

> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 20-Mar-2013, at 7:35, Ginger Paque <ginger at paque.net> wrote:
>
> I certainly understand the concern expressed here about Workshop 1 on MSism.
However, I think that the MAG will ask MS workshop prospective organizers to
merge proposals into one more comprehensive workshop. I hope that the IGC will
make this workshop proposal, so we can be involved in the eventual larger
workshop.

> Ginger (Virginia) Paque
>
> VirginiaP at diplomacy.edu
> Diplo Foundation
> Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme
> www.diplomacy.edu/ig <http://www.diplomacy.edu/ig>
>

> On 19 March 2013 20:55, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>
> Let me explain. The first proposal is generic and will be one of many on the
same subject so will most likely result in the same massive duplication of
content we have seen in past IGFs

> It isn't something a panel or short workshop can solve or conclude either.. It
is a matter for several meetings and other collaboration between stakeholders to
find common ground

> --srs (htc one x)
>

> On 20 March 2013 6:51:20 AM Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>
> Same vote as McTim, -1 and +1
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 20-Mar-2013, at 2:47, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > -1 Workshop Proposal 1  as I would think we have far more productive
> > things to take on.
> >
> > +1 Workshop Proposal #2
> >

> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > McTim
> > "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A
> > route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/