[governance] CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Constance Bommelaer bommelaer at isoc.org
Sun Mar 17 05:18:28 EDT 2013

Dear Anriette,

I am writing to you in your capacity of focal point for the Civil
Society for the nomination process of the CSTD working group on Enhanced
Cooperation. At the outset, I would like to reaffirm the importance we
attach to the relationships we have been able to build across various
stakeholders groups throughout the years. For this reason I am also
sending a copy to Ayesha and to the Civil Society group.

The process of setting up the CSTD working Group on Enhanced Cooperation
has taken an unfortunate twist. We noticed that there is a move underway
to question the representation of the technical and academic community
in the Working Group and we presume that this was triggered by the
discussions surrounding the non-selection of Michael Gurstein.

I was asked to coordinate the selection of the representatives of our
stakeholder group and I did so in a thorough process within our
community. The names put forward were subject to considerable discussion
as well as oral dialogue with many individuals from Civil Society and
the Business community (including their focal points). The criteria used
were shared with all interested individuals as well as with the UN.

Mr Gurstein’s application was assessed in light of the same criteria and
his name was not retained. We fail to understand why he appeals to the
Chairman of the CSTD and tries to question our procedures. Up until
February 2013, he considered himself being part of Civil Society and
spoke as one of its leaders and representatives at the recent WSIS+10
meeting. I also understand that he initially expressed an interest to be
endorsed by the Civil Society to participate to the CSTD Working Group
on Enhanced Cooperation, which also leads to confusion. For purpose of
transparency, I mentioned his interest to the Chair of the CSTD who
nominates the representatives of the various stakeholder groups. I do
believe, however, that unsuccessful applicants in one process should not
engage in “constituency shopping” and question the entire process.

The Tunis Agenda identified the technical and academic community as a
separate sub-group. De UN de facto recognized it as a separate group and
always asked ISOC to coordinate the selection process. It is understood
that the definition contained in the Tunis Agenda can be discussed; new
groups could even appear tomorrow. However, the context was clear and it
referred to the community of organizations and individuals who are
involved in the day-to-day operational management of the Internet and
who work within this community.  This category manifested itself in the
WGIG process. Other academics had been involved in WSIS right from the
start but identified themselves with Civil Society. This distinction has
been used by the UN since 2005.

Meanwhile, it is unclear how attacks between different stakeholder
groups can support multistakeholderism. In my view, advocating for the
technical and academic community to be merged with Civil Society or even
for its representatives to be appointed by governments contradicts the
multistakeholder principle that we are all attached to. Furthermore, I
believe no group should attempt to impose control upon another, nor
should any group be beholden to another.  This would be the end of
multistakeholderism.

Multistakeholder cooperation is still in its beginning. It is a delicate
plant but each stakeholder group can contribute to nurturing it with its
own culture, and processes. The technical community’s work is based on
open and inclusive development processes. In this spirit, the Internet
Society has always demonstrated its commitment to open and inclusive
policy dialogues. We systematically advocate for the inclusion of Civil
Society in arenas where critical discussions are being held (e.g. ITU,
OECD, etc). We also support the participation of individuals from all
stakeholder groups in Internet governance discussions (IGF, IETF, etc.).

Cooperation and reciprocal encouragements among all stakeholder groups
are key to advance the cause of multistakeholderism. I look forward to
working with all of you in this spirit.

Thank you and best regards,

--
Constance Bommelaer