[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 16 16:38:09 EDT 2013

> This brings up an important point. In a multi-stakeholder model how
> do we deal with a community we may not agree with?

Poking out here is the much (much) bigger problem.  Seen from time to
time. Not really ever addressed.  Though mentioned repeatedly:

How does an MS world instantiate the principles of democracy?
Democracy, where _everyone_ gets to have a say in their governance.
All 7 billion or so folks.

Not just the entirely small handful of folks who post with any
regularity to an online list.  Such a small percentage of the total
7B, that the zeros after the decimal point, in that percentage,
stretch on for some distance before there is a non-zero entry.

Those hallowed principles of democracy, that have been so hard won, in
those societies where they are given even lip service, now.

Until there is some satisfactory reconciling, MS is still just
tribes.  Apposite indeed, as Mike thanked Bill (whether he wanted it
or not ...)

And tribes is where it all started.  With all sorts of governance
outcomes, littered and documented through long history - often most
highly undesirable.  Before some progress was made - finally - on
governance for and by the people.

[And kudos to 'Avri haiku.'  Such grace may yet waft us to a better
place.  Thanks, with appreciation.]

David