[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Mar 16 03:15:15 EDT 2013

On Saturday 16 March 2013 09:46 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not support sending a letter.
>
> If indeed they are being treated as another Stakeholder group, I do not see what job we have interfering with their selection processes. Just as we would be highly offended if they told Civil Society how to select candidates.
>
> I am not making a judgement on any candidate or on their process, which I know nothing about. Or even on the issue of whether they should be treated as a separate Stakeholder group. I just think it is not our business to comment on their process or criteria.

Avri

Are you saying that if the business community focal point was to send
out a message that only representatives of businesses that have an
annual turnover in excess of $ I billion may apply to be considered for
for private sector membership of the CSTD WG, we as in the IGC should
have nothing to say?

Or, even if UN comes up with a process whereby government membership
CSTD WG is based on the GDP of a country, the IGC should have nothing to
say?

This is the problem with a certain kind of MSism - a very poor
conception of the fact that all political processes are aimed at a
common public interest. Accordingly, all public actors involved in the
process are accountable to the people, and to every and any other public
actor...... This is how I see this kind of MSism causing grievous hurt
to democracy, and all tenets of public life.

When you say that the focal points for chosing 'technical and academic
community' representatives have no accountability to a civil society
group and we cannot ask questions from them, you are saying that they
have no accountability to the public. I am really shocked to hear this.
I have no idea what your conception of civil society really is, and
those of others who have come up with similar views. I think we as IGC
need to figure out who we are, and what we think civil society is, and
what all are its purposes etc......

*/I will like to have a clear articulation from this group, if needed
through a vote, whether we really think that focal points for selecting
reps of different stakeholders for a public body have no accountability
to the public, and whether a civil society group can or cannot
legitimately ask transparency and accountability related questions
/**/from them./*

This point of process perhaps must be clarified before we go into the
substance of our questions to the focal point for 'tech and academic
communities'.

parminder