FW: [governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation : Update

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:20:31 EDT 2013

I'ld like to thank IGC colleagues for their encouragement and support in the matter of my "nomination" on behalf of the "Technical and Academic" stakeholder group to the CSTD WG on EC.

I would strongly encourage CS to proceed with the proposed letter protesting the failures in the process as evidenced to date by the T/A focal point. Insisting that the various actors in these processes abide by standard norms of accountability and transparency is I believe, a necessary role for CS.

I am however, very concerned at the continued silence from the T/A focal point/grouping in these matters.  The failure to provide a clear accounting of the procedures and criteria which have gone into the selection activities as Anriette Esterhuysen has done so ably on behalf of CS, I believe, directly undermines the legitimacy of the entire multistakeholder process.

As we all know, if there is no accountability and transparency there is no legitimacy and if there is no legitimacy then a fledgling approach to governance such as multistakeholderism will necessarily appear to the world as simply a mask for the pursuit of narrow interests by another name.

Again, since there would appear to be no evidence of formal processes being in place within the T/A group, with this note I'm giving notice that I will be launching a formal appeal to the Chair of the CSTD WG and asking that the nominations of the T/A group be suspended in this area until such time as its formal processes and widely legitimized criteria of selection are made known to the general community.

Mike