[governance] China's next-generation internet is a world-beater - tech - 10 March 2013 - New Scientist

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Mar 13 13:03:22 EDT 2013

My 2 cents:

For sure global agreements are preferrable from point of view of international law; and for establishment of norms and principles short of even 'soft law.'

For sure global agreements are harder to reach than bilateral agreements.

And for sure global agreements tend to leave more - wiggle room - for nations to opt out explicitly of certain provisions, or violate the global agreement without suffering consequences.

Whereas, bilaterals, as the name implies, are either agreeable to the 2 parties, or not.

In the early wave of e-commerce, the US did a load of bilateral agreements, which led to similar worries to those expressed.

Then...due to DC political gridlock as usual, even bilateral deals grew increasingly difficult to jam through Congress, unchanged/without renegotiation by Congress, which of course majorly - annoyed - the other national government(s).

Odds that a bilateral with China even if agreeable to both national governments, gains Senate approval, in current political climate is above zero, but not by much. (A Republican Senator nominated for Secretary of Defense by a Democratic President was filibustered by - Republicans? - yeah that's how toxic Washington is these days.)

Which no doubt the Chinese negotiators know perfectly well.

So....just cuz they may talk, does not mean an agreement will be reached; nor does it mean an agreement even if reached will ever be implemented.

Which is another way of saying there is still plenty of time for global Internet governance discussions to resume/continue while bilateral talks take place; where/how/on what basis is another question.

(IGF? Anyone, everyone?? Hello??)

Less optimistically,  note the WTO has been stuck - in its own global gridlock - due to conflicts in views and interests between developed and developing nations, for over a decade.

>From that view, fact the WCIT/ITU - is in same state as WTO - is just current global geopolitical business as usual, unfortunately.

Which may, Parminder, suggest that global cs folks seeking to keep the Internet away from the gridlock of global state to state discussions...are being both idealistic in upholding cs values in the face of other values; and yeah ok, cynical realpolitik players focused on the art of the possible.

Lee