[governance] China's next-generation internet is a world-beater - tech - 10 March 2013 - New Scientist

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Mar 13 03:40:40 EDT 2013

Comment below:

On 13/03/2013 09:25, parminder wrote:

> Dear Nick
>
> Some responses below
>

> On Wednesday 13 March 2013 11:51 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Let's accept for the moment that what you say is a true statement.
>> Why would you see treaty-making as likely to counter these impacts,
>> given the scenario you posit? In fact, a treaty, in this case, would
>> be likely to cast in stone the very inequalities and dangers that you
>> see.
>
> What do you think of various human rights instruments, that were
> globally negotiated, in times much worse than today. How do you
> explain them?
>>
>> Treaty-making, in my 20+ years of experience, is largely a
>> codification of existing practice, not an evolution to create a new
>> global situation:
>

> I dont think we can right now jump into an ominbus Internet treaty,
> and I am not sure it will  ever be required/ useful. However, we can
> start will trying to put together some higher level Internet
> principles.  We can also begin to discuss and try to seek solutions,
> and as possibly codify them, on emergent issues like cross border data
> flows, net neutrality, basic content flow and FoE guarantees,
> regulation of global Internet business, global competition policy
> frameworks in the Internet space, and so on.

Agree this is necessary.
>  Before that we can and should try to put together a formal place
> where such  things can actually be codified (other than, say OECD's
> CCICP) in a democratic manner, if and when there is a political will
> to do so. But right now the dominant powers, and there numerous
> supporters, simply refuse to even allow a UN based space to start
> considering these issues, with a /possibility/ of being able to do
> something about them. That is the problem right now, and it cant be
> pushed away by providing generally pessimistic perspectives on the
> world's political capabilities.

Have we given up on the IGF being a space where serious discussion of
this nature can take place? Discussion that results in outcomes of some
kind? Has the cautious approach to the IGF adopted by some of its
greatest supporters made it irrelevant?

I would like to see the IGF used more effectively - I am not convinced
that a new space will succeed in achieving what the space that we
already have is not achieving with regards to formulating effective -
public interest bound - responses to some of the issues Parminder
identifies.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692