[governance] An interesting perspective on Freedom of Speech in the Internet era

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Mar 11 04:20:41 EDT 2013

Reference: <http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511276/free-speech-in-the-era-of-its-technological-amplification/>

This is an interesting perspective on Freedom of Speech in the Internet era
by Jason Pontin of MIT's Technology Review magazine.   It's informative
and entertaining due to its style, done in the manner of a letter to the late
British philosopher John Stuart Mill.   I do not know if I can agree with the
conclusions (which I will poorly summarize as there can be no middle ground,
US businesses on the Internet need to operate based on US principles for
freedom of speech and not do business in those countries which have otherise
incompatible systems), but in any case, the logical build-up in the article
definitely provides an interesting framework for thinking about freedom of
speech and the Internet.

FYI,
/John