AW: [governance] 20th century arrives in Geneva

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Mar 10 14:57:45 EDT 2013

In message <896052561.21733.1362940140871.JavaMail.www at wwinf1e08>, at
19:29:00 on Sun, 10 Mar 2013, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
writes
>An interesting article to be found in Mobile Europe is likely to be a
>useful contribution to this debate. You'll find it here :
>
>http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/News-Analysis/mwc-2013-carrier-grade-wi-fi
>-using-passpoint-won-t-be-available-till-2014

This correlates well with the efforts of mobile phone companies in the
UK (and no doubt elsewhere) to try to offload data bandwidth onto "free"
wifi. Which although it's counter-intuitive to offer customers data for
free, rather than per-GB, allows their 2G/3G data networks to catch up
with the demand from mobile users.

I don't believe in "one last push" [and then it's solved for ever]
theory, and I expect that demand will continue to increase faster than
they can build out 4G networks. Having a scheme in place to charge for
the "free" wifi at some point in the future makes perfect sense.
--
Roland Perry