[governance] Internet theology

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 2 08:54:54 EST 2013

In message
<CA+YNoKgORZKOB63O=h1qsD+-cm8Xov+54UrG+EBJXGcxJv3Xrw at mail.gmail.com>, at
19:10:43 on Fri, 1 Mar 2013, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> writes

>it is an open consultation, Day 1, but today's meeting, MAG meeting
>which were closed meeting 2-year ago, are now actually very open and
>there is almost no distinction between MAG members and non-MAG members
>in this room, in restricted manner

You are right about the change.

I think that some of the history has been forgotten (especially by
Kieren) regarding the way Open Consultations and MAG meetings have
converged.

Originally the Open (or "Informal") Consultations were very large
meetings (hundreds of people in one of the main rooms in Geneva) and the
MAG meeting was a 'secret conclave' without even observers.

Over time the attendance at the open consultations reduced, and it
became more like a "shadow MAG", comprised of parties interested in a
more hands-on approach to moulding the event and the schedule.

I think the tipping point was the time the session was held at the EBU
in Sept 09, 'up the hill', rather than at the Palais, in a much smaller
room. That was the first consultation where I saw workshop-merging
happening in real time with organisers in the room bartering slots with
the secretariat taking notes of what was agreed.

Soon after that, the MAG decided to allow observers, and not long after
it was agreed to accept interventions from the floor.

By then we had a situation where it was much more like two days of MAG+
meeting, with a very hands-on approach to negotiating the "traffic
light" charts of which workshops had qualified, and which should be
persuaded to merge.

--
Roland Perry