[governance] Re: Racismo étnico

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 10:49:40 EDT 2013

I agree with Daniel and Anriette.
I'm expressing this very poorly but sometimes I think a disagreement occurs
because we don't comprehend the other person's thought and the lack of
comprehension happens because we have no real awareness of the context, the
status quo, that triggered the thought. It is really difficult for us to
imagine ourselves into the other person's place to see from his/her
perspective.
To give a very simplistic example - I attended a WSIS workshop in Geneva
(remotely) recently at which the importance of a reliable electricity
supply of some sort to access and use of the Internet suddenly seemed to
arrive in the consciousness of the people carrying on the discussion, most
of whom were "North based". In the South we are inclined to take
electricity problems for granted as a part of everyday life.
(LUCELEC you've been doing amazingly well recently, so I didn't mean you
:-) )
Deirdre

On 15 June 2013 10:06, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:

> Greetings all...
>
> I have not been able to follow the entire thread, but I really do agree
> with Daniel. I also don't believe that north/south perspectives need
> divide civil society; in fact I believe deeply that we need to be in
> solidarity with one another and respect one another's struggles.
>
> But there are differences... and for me they are quite profound
> differences. Daniel Piementa describes it really well when he says:
> " There is a South sensitivity and this is not a question of dividing
> the community but rather acknowledging the existence of a different
> perspective driven by
> quite different contexts."
>
> Anriette
>

> On 15/06/2013 04:40, Daniel Pimienta wrote:
> > Dear Mc Tim,
> >
> >> I think you have misunderstood the comments made by suresh, who is
> >> also from the developing world.  I think what he was saying is that
> >> there are some people on the list who purport to speak for the
> >> developing world, but on this list, there is no representation, we
> >> only speak for ourselves.
> >
> > Then you should leave Suresh speaks for himself.
> > I definitively have not read his statement as you (representation was
> > not at all the issue) and I may not be the only one beyond Mike.
> >
> > As for
> >> we could get a lot more done if people didn't try to divide us with
> >> first vs third world rhetoric.
> >
> > I am a peson from the North who now live in the South for some 25
> > years, and I disagree
> > with your statement. When focusing ICT4D and probably also Internet
> > governance they are
> > many issues which are not treated the same way in the South as in the
> > North (if only a question
> > of very different priority scheme). There is a South sensitivity and
> > this is not a question of
> > dividing the community but rather acknowledging the existence of a
> > different perspective driven by
> > quite different contexts.
> >
> > Some people like Suresh leave in the South and are reluctant to
> > acknowledge that difference of perspective;
> > this is their perfect right; however I do not think they have the
> > right to impose their view to the rest of us
> > (who probably are the majority in that very case).
> >
> > Cordialmente,
> > Daniel

> anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
> executive director, association for progressive communications
> www.apc.org
> po box 29755, melville 2109
> south africa
> tel/fax +27 11 726 1692

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979