[governance] Does it matter which legal system ICANN operates under?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 05:25:01 EDT 2013

Thanks for this Keith. It is wonderful to have a reasoned discussion on
this matter for a change.

As said previously, when critics wrongly accused some of us of wanting
to break the internet, if there is a legitimate form of governance that
reflects the international character of the internet then it should not
be a problem at all with incremental or radical changes to governance of
CIR. In that sense I am, as McT pointed out, a 'single rooter'. One
should however expect the development of 'extreme' positions when
democratic discussion is foreclosed. As you sow, so shall you reap. It
is not nice being in a position to push the 'left' position because the
centre is so far to the right... and it is not something I would like to
do at all as it is just about desperately creating spaces instead of
doing something useful, as many lurkers on this list could possibly attest.

Everyone is grateful for US technological investment and innovation,
often paid for ordinary people in the US and serviced by USers and many
many non-USers whom the technical community welcomes (one place in the
world where 'fresh off the boat' is a good thing, although increasingly
less so in places like Wisconsin). Reasonably fair (double standards
rather than extreme double standards in other words) arrangements can go
a long way to taking the sting out of dependency.

I do not take the simplistic notion of government bad. Here I take my US
history from the early American Institutionalists, like Alexander
Hamilton, Frederich List, Richard Ely, Daniel Raymon(?), who focussed on
the important matter of the state and thecommonweal
<http://www.othercanon.org/>. Of course one can understand the
anti-government position in the US, but only to the extent that it is
consistent, as taxes are high and regulations/regulators, many of which
are pro-corporate rather than pro-people
<http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/06/u-s-regulatory-system-stymied-by-special-interests/>,
intrusive. From the outside, this is the cost of being the world's
policeman (and for some the premier aggressor in the world). So
government's role is crucial as it is a site of contestation for the
national polity. As can be seen national US control despite its
safeguards is insufficient after the NSA saga, and perhaps even
Americans may benefit from some international oversight (but one cannot
really do that with Bolton at the UN nor the new UN Amb who is Obama's
amb. elect despite the practised dominance the US shows at almost all UN
agencies... ).

The issue is that democratic discussion on this matter has been blocked
in some obvious and devious means. This invites bad faith, whether
others think this is justified or not. This is an impediment that I hope
the likes of you and Curran, Perry, Roland, etc can accomodate instead
of what we have had, and which I characterise as 'wild west cowboy'
management of this issue.

The issue of multistakeholderism is also important. Combined with the
active generation of 'bad faith' the bamboozling of those who ask for
disciplines on the role of corporates in this process to secure the
public interest is enlightening, and also does not behove us to many of
its proponents - simply because of the 'fair and foul' treatment metered
out on this list and in UN processes. Conflicts of interest are
recognised as a problem elsewhere, especially in areas where technical
people typically have these conflicts otherwise they would not have
developed the skills. It can be managed, but not if it is a non-issue.

I am on the record that even ICANN in some instances was more
progressive in incremental change than some of their 'usual' defenders
in this space. Again, it breeds bad faith, especially since we know how
powerful these civil society players are/can be and how powerfully they
intimidate, seek to discredit and marginalise particularly certain Third
World positions. It is the amount of venom that confirms for us the
importance of this matter, as I am sure will become more and more
evident as the NSA saga unfolds in all its unconstitutional glory. And I
am personally certain that the CIR politics I have seen is about the
intimate association between state and the private sector acting in
concert (in all the Hannah Arendt banality of evil, simply to make a
buck; or to retain US comparative advantage in this field, which is an
acceptable national position, but is not global) while we cannot even
get public interest issues as an agenda item without a public spat.

Personally with ICANN coming to Africa in July, I wait to see what will
happen in terms of resource flows and capability transfers as Africans
are at overall a much lower technical base (ecosystem wise, not
necessarily individually). It may be something useful, where the hegemon
actually shows noblesse oblige
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noblesse_oblige>, or it will be creating
loyal vested interests to neutralise opposition while monopolising the
local technical polity. Incremental change and noblesse oblige can go
together, but this is a conservative position (i.e. privilege with duty)
not a market based one (which is revolutionary cos the market can take
you through a housing bubble all the way through to a bailout).
Generally Africans typically get a bad deal not only because of internal
conditions...

Contrary to what some may think, we know the score, recognise the
powerful forces at work, but insist on believing in the reality of
choice: even if we are mocked, scandalised and belittled as human
beings. The current saga is showing how parochial the US type analysis
is for dealing with these matters - shock at what is happening for some
USers, while it is nothing new for many in the South (and in the North).
Some perspectivism may not be remiss.

When the safety valve of dialogue is blocked in a non-binding forum like
the IGF, I am sure you can understand how this will be offensive to a
democratic minded sensibility. But glad to hear from you and to have
this kind of discussion. I repeat the above so you can appreciate better
why things are as they are, and hope, under Norbert's and Sala's able
coordination, we can deal with this in a way that has at least some
noblesse oblige rather than having us as supplicants on bended knees as
others who block this issue typically prefer. We do recognise our
subjection, but object to it being flaunted in our faces.