[governance] Fwd: CCIA Calls for Disclosure of Government Surveillance, Praises Bill To Declassify Some FISA Court Rulings

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 10:22:15 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the commercial sector weighing in in a useful way, is it just me

I think its mostly just you who has an unreasonable expectation here,
based on a flawed understanding of the T&A Community.

 or is
> there not deafening silence from the "technical community" either through
> their "official" representative organization(s)

Your use of quotes here seems to indicate that you understand there is
no such official rep.

There was a Focal Point appointed by the UN folks for the specific
purpose of gathering names to include on a list.  This does not mean
they would ever represent the hundreds of orgs who do what we used to
call Collaboration, Communication, Coordination (and there was a 4th C
which I forget just now) of Internet resources/standards, etc.

 or even unofficially through
> contributions from elders and notables?

You might see this, (Lauren or Mozila for example, and W3C is joining
the efforts to make a statement).

That's how the Internet tech community works, people represent
themselves (and sometimes our orgs) with no need for "representation".

--
Cheers,

McTim