[governance] Does it matter which legal system ICANN operates under?

Katim S. Touray kstouray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 04:57:40 EDT 2013

Dear all,

To help frame the discussion, here's the link to ICANN's IANA contract:

http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/contract-01oct12-en.pdf

There's also the USDOC amendment to the renewal of the ICANN-Verisign
contract:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/amendment_32_11292012.pdf

As has been pointed out, ICANN doesn't have anything to do with Internet
content and whether or not it is monitored. However, there's no doubt that
revelations about US government surveillance of Internet data harms their
case in the debate on multi-stakeholder Internet governance, including of
ICANN itself and matters under its purview.

Katim

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com