[governance] {S} Internet surveillance (was Re: Is 'tit for tat'...)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 04:31:41 EDT 2013

Here we may want to address national security as being a site of abuse,
to which even US judges are complicit in, as expert reveal that only 5%
of what is classified should be classified and after 3 years that
reduces to about 0.5%. In other words, national security is being
abused, and all our rights have been violated.

The real bind however is how to balance national interests with the role
of the US as the self-appointed global policeman of the world. Anything
that shows deference to this role should be roundly condemned as nation
states are sovereign and equal. De facto things may be different, but de
jure we need to reject any privileges to simply being American (i.e.
that which is not earned or by consent).

And while for McTim the US national ecosystem in which CIR and Internet
governance take place is as irrelevant as other freedoms, I take a
different view. Unless there is democratic control (or aliens are given
the right to vote in the US) that meets human rights standards the US
should be treated differently in this regard - more of a focus, instead
of the NECESSARY (but distracting) lopsided focus on other countries
(the archives will bear me out on this). The focus now specifically on
the institutions and practices of the US. This should not leave other
countries off the hook, but such focus should be proportionate to the
governance power exerted over the internet.