[governance] {S} Internet surveillance (was Re: Is 'tit for tat'...)

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 22:54:32 EDT 2013

Whilst it may be easier to sign, there are few considerations missing from the statement. It would also be good to have an IGC statement on the issue as well.

My thoughts are:

Whilst national security is an exception to Article 19 of the ICCPR, and where there is well established jurisprudence that on certain occasions and under certain circumstances human rights may be suspended.

With matters of national security and threats to public safety, there is emerging (reality is that it has been around since Nixon and the wiretapping saga but only in recent times gained exposure due to multiple factors) jurisprudence amongst states and law enforcement that states need to know "everything".

Countries that are traditionally known for preserving tenets of fundamental rights and freedoms are clearly evolving:

*France
*US
*UK

Any member country of the Interpol, Europol have state authorized mechanisms for surveillance, most are founded on handshakes. On the other hand states that are often labelled as "communistic" for diverse reasons such as:
*China
*Syria
*Iran

What we are seeing is states (all shapes and sizes) seem to be moving to greater state sponsored surveillance. Whilst the manifestation is the violation of privacy, what we should be addressing is the tectonic shifts that are causing them.

As stakeholders within a global community, we cannot address and confront states without other stakeholders aside from states who carry out these actions whilst condoning the same action from other stakeholders in the global community. There has to be a sense of being non-partisan in the objectivity within which we raise our concerns.

States have reasons (national security, threats of terrorism), the private sector has reasons (knowing market needs, behaviour, patterns), criminals have their reasons (exploitation for gain, desire to cause harm) etc.

We as civil society must speak and address these issues in a manner that is balanced, sustainable where we point to a standard where the world needs to be accountable.

I would also suggest that in the IGC statement, that we can call on civil society around the world, states and private sector to act responsibly. We can also call on Parliaments around the world and communities to think deeply about these issues and craft balanced laws and policies.

Additional Comments

I am sharing this as I know that in much of the world, countries are moving to address the important balance between national security and rights of individuals which is where I feel the real advocacy should happen.

(Recently, in my own country, I was retained through a regional university to lead the national consultations for Cyber security at the request of my Government through the Ministry of Defence with the view of drafting the strategy, policy etc with our cyber security working group. I deliberately wove issues of privacy in the discussions and was surprised that there was overwhelming comments for support for privacy from the private sector, public sector and civil society.)

Kind Regards,

Sala

Sent from my iPad