[governance] Is 'tit for tat' all that can be accomplished?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 10:52:08 EDT 2013

Parminder,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> Also noteworthy - about the point of willing cooperation or not - that
> Google fails to mention this stuff in its so called transparency report...
> What is the justification for that...
>
> Unfortunately the answer is pretty simple: they are prohibited by US law
to mention this kind of requests. Whether this is something appropriate is
another matter, but it is US laws.

B.

>  On Tuesday 11 June 2013 07:13 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
>
>  The difficulty Kerry and all is that even if the US companies were
> ``cooperat(ing) within the boundaries of the law``, it was (necessarily) a
> US law bounded by, but enforcing US jurisdiction.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> The Internet dominant companies involved are of course companies with
> global reach, global markets, global users and among the most active
> purveyors of an open and free/boundaryless Internet and what your post and
> the bulk of the discussion on these matters does not address is that the
> other (non-US) users of these services have essentially no protection under
> these laws. They/we are `fair game`.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> In some cases/places we have some protection under our own national laws
> but given that these laws have no jurisdiction (or truly effective
> influence) over the companies themselves (as has been demonstrated in
> various matters particularly in the European context and as is currently
> being articulated to her credit by our Canadian Privacy Commissioner) we
> are truly naked in front of these surveillance mechanisms (and given the
> current state of the US security panic we are all under suspicion until
> proven innocent); with by the way no evident means of authenticating one`s
> innocence in any lasting way.****
>
> ** **
>
> M****
>
> ** **

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Internet & Jurisdiction Project Director, International Diplomatic Academy (
www.internetjurisdiction.net)
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")