[governance] FW: [IP] DNI releases Fact Sheet on PRISM, but the damage is already done

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 17:29:48 EDT 2013

What comes through loud and clear on this and the associated comments,
denials and disclaimers from all and sundry is that this is a global issue
requiring a global response and particularly initiatives from a global civil
society.

However, successful our US colleagues may be in taming/controlling/bringing
to some degree of accountability and transparency this particular beast this
will do effectively nothing for those in the rest of the world who are
equally net-enabled citizens, users of the Internet, customers/clients/users
of US based Internet dominant services such as Google, Facebook, Microsoft
and so on and for whom US law, the US constitution, and US accountability
mechanisms (quite understandably) have no force.

Even the development of alternative national counterparts won't do much
since the opportunity and the temptation to undertake this kind of
surveillance will always be there.  We either give up on the idea of privacy
altogether or we find a way of developing governance mechanisms that protect
and provide accountability for all.

Begin forwarded message: