[governance] IGF Cancelled

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Sun Jul 28 00:22:06 EDT 2013

Hi,
A friend who is with Indonesian Civil Society working with the
organizing committee sent me the following.

------

It's true that IGF 2013 committee is facing financial problem and it's
likely to be cancelled. But, we have not announced official notification of
the cancellation yet since now UN is trying to help us finding resources to
cope with it. We will update later about the result.

Thank you.

----------

2013/7/28 Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>

> Given marilla's email, this appears to be a nonstarter, and so, moot.
>
> And it sounds very strange if some people were to continuously disparage a
> community or organization on the one hand, and demand sponsorship money
> from them on the other, on the grounds that the amount involved is hardly a
> rounding error in their revenue (or even their ebitda), just saying.
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 27-Jul-2013, at 23:44, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> > Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> >
> >> All of them opposed UN funding for the IGF
> >
> > Is there anyone who in view of the current debacle is still opposed to
> > UN funding for the IGF?
> >
> >> but can they explain why they opposed 'committed' funding from ICANN
> >> collected Internet taxes, say of 2 million every year... Isn't that
> >> the right model of funding the IGF , keeping if safe from staist as
> >> well corporate controls....
> >
> > I am not sure that ICANN's collection of domain name taxes is the right
> > funding model for anything (it presupposes that domain names are sold
> > for a price which makes them quite unaffordable to a very significant
> > number of poor people) but as long as ICANN's funding model remains as
> > it currently is, in view of ICANN's financials [1], funding at least a
> > significant part of the cost of IGF meetings from ICANN's budget
> > indeed makes a lot of sense.
> > [1] http://www.icann.org/en/about/financials
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Norbert
> >
> > --
> > Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
> > 1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person
> > 2. Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

                     >> Izumi Aizu <<
Japan