[governance] IGF Cancelled

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 27 04:16:59 EDT 2013

On Saturday 27 July 2013 01:40 PM, Kivuva wrote:
> Those are good provoking thoughts Parminder.
>
> My question would be, why are IGFs held in developing countries and we
> all know these countries have budget shortfalls? Can the UN have a
> provision of supplementing the budgets of the host if they cannot
> raise all the funds, or enlisting the help of sponsors?

Dear Kivuva,

The UN Working Group on Improvements to the IGF (2010-12) discussed the
option of committed UN funding for the IGF, which proposal was supported
by many developing countries. However it was shot down by the developed
countries, business sector members, technical community members, and,
interestingly, most civil society members...

One can clearly see now where it was meant to be headed.... Bali
disaster is just an episode on the way of a well crafted ploy to
corporatised governance and kill democracy. Sooner the democratic and
pulbic interest minded civil socity actors in the IG space understand
the game and distance themselves from it, the better. In fact to do so
is crucial if democracy is to be saved.

.... parminder