[governance] IGF Cancelled

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Sat Jul 27 00:16:37 EDT 2013

I also agree with Kivuva.

While we are pessimistic about the organization of IGF in Bali, I think we
should wait for the "final" confirmation from both official Indonesian
Government and also IGF Secretariat. At MAG, we have not heard any formal
decision.

Of course, things look like in very bad shape, but there could be more
effort to raise funding and also reduce the cost so that we could still go
to Bali. The current yellow
light does not necessarily mean the final red in my view.

Which should not of course exclude the planning of the Plan B. However, the
very core of IGF, its multi-stakeholder dimension be kept as many also
point out. And I think we should still pursue face to face meeting, not
pure online at least at this stage.

izumi

2013/7/27 Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>

> Very good point Kivuva.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 26/07/2013 19:04, Kivuva wrote:
> > The once in a year face to face meeting is an important opportunity to
> > connect faces and build bridges by socializing at a more personal
> > level. Online discussions are great, moreso as cost saving models and
> > a way to build consensus and produce results over a long time, but
> > also as a way to create a cartel of very enthusiastic IG experts where
> > the "rest" don't know how to come in or what is happening

> anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
> executive director, association for progressive communications
> www.apc.org
> po box 29755, melville 2109
> south africa
> tel/fax +27 11 726 1692