[governance] IGF Cancelled

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jul 26 11:18:13 EDT 2013

In message <0CA5A8FE-4850-4CD6-9D09-AEC9471EBE11 at uzh.ch>, at 15:36:04 on
Fri, 26 Jul 2013, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> writes
>We are on a semi-open MAG call now so I believe I can say: an Indonesian gentlemen from the private sector came on and said there's a budget
>shortfall and the meeting is canceled.  However, Markus pointed out that the government has not made any definitive statement to that effect
>and that the UN is urgently trying to get clarification.  Moreover, Chengetai has been in contact with Jakarta and has not been told this by
>anyone with direct governmental responsibility.  So obviously things are churning in Jakarta and we probably shouldn't react immediately based
>on varying voices, tweets, etc.

Who is responsible for raising the finance?

If it's the government then I can see that there would be some way to go
before this was settled.

Or is it the private sector consortium which seems to have "thrown in
the towel" (excuse the metaphor). In which case unless the government or
an external funder such as ISOC steps in, what's the likely outcome?

--
Roland Perry