[governance] IGF Cancelled

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jul 26 04:57:12 EDT 2013

Ang Peng Hwa <TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg> wrote:

> According to third party sources I asked, ie not the Indonesians, one
> major item that added to the cost is that the UN had apparently asked
> for US$900k to fly personnel and security equipment for the event.

It will be rather disastrous not only for the IGF as an institution,
but also for Indonesia as a host country for international conferences,
and also for the UN from a PR perspective, if this is the end of the
story: Canceling the IGF for reasons of a budget shortfall which is
just a little larger than the ridiculously high amount that the UN is
asking for to fly in personnel and security equipment for the event.

I'm sure that a lot of people are right now thinking very hard about
what can be done to avert that disaster. Let's not give up hope for now.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person