[governance] : The Price of Hypocrisy - Evgeny Morozov on Information Consumerism - Überwachung - FAZ

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jul 25 02:22:34 EDT 2013

 From the Morozov's article as quoted by Jean-Louis

"This is today’s America in full splendor: what cannot be accomplished
through controversial legislation will be accomplished through
privatization, only with far less oversight"

It is this new state-corporate combination or, as the author calls it,
social contract,  which is the most dangerous political development of
modern times. And civil society has been called to play the hand maiden
and the bed maker for this partnership....

IT for Change along with partner organisations held a workshop in Delhi
last week which makes precisely this point of how privatisation is used
to achieve specific political interests through bypassing of democratic
political processes. The worlshop was titled "Technology in Governance -
An agenda for centralisation, privatisation and de-politicisation?"
(workshop note is enclosed for those who are interested to know more).
The workshop was attended by activists on socio-economic rights from
across the country and has developed a plan of action to confront this
phenomenon. It was co-orgnaised by the grassroots organisation that
pioneered the right to information movement in India.

parminder