[governance] WG: Final deadline and requirements for workshop proposal completeness

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 09:03:29 EDT 2013

Following Ginger and Nick -
it sounds as if the physical location of this IGF in Bali, and the current
financial situation, taken together, will provide splendid encouragement
for remote participation (RP), at least to those of us from the "other"
side of the world.
It may also help to bring about the type of inclusion that people have been
asking for, in which workshops are exercises in participation rather than
exercises in listening. Since this is an enhancement that was sought we
could look at it as an opportunity for innovation in process??
I am fortunate in that I have funding and will be in Bali. I'll help in any
way I can.
Deirdre (De)

On 17 July 2013 08:09, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at consensus.pro> wrote:

> Dear Ginger,
>
> It is certainly the case that RP is a lot of work (for all involved)
> though it has great benefits. I remember very vividly how much work it is
> from my days being in charge of it at ICANN! :)
>
> I know the Secretariat does the best that it can. Frankly, what they do
> given that it is almost all-volunteers doing it is pretty miraculous. That
> said, I do think that the way in which things are structured, including the
> deadline issues, does not really produce the best result for anyone.
>

> On 17 Jul 2013, at 14:06, Ginger Paque <ginger at paque.net> wrote:
>
> Nick and all,
> I understand and share your concern. As a strong proponent of e- and
> remote participation, I will reiterate to Chengetai the importance of
> excellent and timely tech and Internet training and support for remote
> presenters and participants. This is one important reason to note whether
> your panellists will present remotely (there is a field for it in the
> workshop form), so the organizers are aware of the approximate number of
> remote panellists, and can prepare for it. The RP prep work is not easy,
> and is one reason workshop details must be available quite early on.
>
> If you think about it, you will realise that the IGC exists online, not in
> any physical space. We have the experience and the motivation to take
> advantage of online participation for the IGF meeting as well. I do not
> know who/what/how RP will be managed for Bali, but I know it is a high
> priority for the IGF Secretariat.
>
> We can also be prepared for glitches: consider asking panellists to
> pre-record and send a backup intervention in case there are problems. It
> might save them in case of virtual jet lag, if they must present at 2 a.m.
> local time, and their alarm clock doesn't go off. A copy of a .ppt or
> speaking notes might allow someone else to step in if necessary (De
> Williams did this for me once in the Caribbean. I was supposed to present
> remotely, but had local Internet problems. Since the organizers had my
> .ppt, De gave my presentation on site, and did a great job). We have
> switched to Skype if WebEx has problems; we have read out interventions
> sent in by email or Skype when there is a problem.
>
> I think all of you know that onsite presentation takes a lot of
> preparation, time and energy. So does RP, sometimes--often even--not as
> much. I think we should put the time and effort into good RP when that is
> our best option, the same way we do when being on site is our best option.
>
> Please let me know if I can help in any way during this process. If I can,
> I am willing.
> Good luck,
> Ginger
>

> On 17 July 2013 06:31, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at consensus.pro> wrote:
>
>> I am doing this too, but I worry: past history is that the first day or
>> two of the IGF the Internet can be less than reliable. If we have many
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979