[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 12:18:00 EDT 2013

"The value in domain names is not 'natural' -- it comes from someone's hard
work."

Nonetheless, if some stakeholders can make that easier by choosing and
hoarding specific combinations... they'll certainly do.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> On 10.07.13 15:18, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> In message <51DD4743.7070805 at digsys.bg>, at 14:36:35 on Wed, 10 Jul
>> 2013, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>>
>>> By the way, domain names (and IP addresses for that matter) never had
>>> any value as such. These are just strings of characters and numbers,
>>> respectively.
>>>
>>> It is the management of the domain that creates any value.
>>>
>> I disagree. What has value is the brand, and the expression of that
>> brand in a domain name has value just as the expression of a brand on a
>> sign over a shop, or $5 worth of paint on the side of an aircraft.
>>

> We seem to agree here, despite the difference in wording. What makes any
> brand any valuable is not the 'name', but all that is behind it.
>

>  >From another perspective, amazon.com is only "good" because of all the
>>
>>> infrastructure behind it.
>>>
>> The "good" derives from the brand behind it.
>>

> Well... the brand is only any good, because of of what is delivered, not
> because of it's label. But as much the brand is backed by the delivered
> products and is represented by the brand label, then yes.
>

>  I suspect it's harder work creating a famous brand when the name appears
>> to have no obvious connection with the trading activity[1].
>>

> Good example is SONY.
>
> However, despite being 'good name', SONY would have no value if that
> company does not do what they do -- and have done trough the years.
> Of course a brand of 'SONY' is better than 'Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo', for many
> reasons.
>
> But if for example, they chose to name their company SONAY, then today
> sonay.com would have some value, but sony.com -- probably not.
> This is why the domain name as such has no value.
>

>> And of course I use the word "trading" in a broad sense. ISOC, ICANN and
>> NTIA are all brands, too.
>>
>>  From Wikipedia:
>>
>>          "Bezos wanted a name for his company that began with "A" so that
>>          it would appear early in alphabetic order. He began looking
>>          through the dictionary and settled on "Amazon" because it was a
>>          place that was "exotic and different" and it was one of the
>>          biggest rivers in the world, as he hoped his company would be.
>>
>> Which is interesting because people complaining about "Amazon" as a
>> pseudo-geographic name probably have in mind "Amazon Basin" rather than
>> just the river itself.
>>

> It is also worth noting, that the interpretation of the name  is also
> related to the background of those who interpret it. For someone dealing
> with geography and rivers, that Amazon would definitely be the river. For
> the tourist, that would be the 'exotic' area, as you mentioned. Recently I
> found myself with an iPhone app named Amazon... only to discover it has
> nothing in common with the Amazon trading site I expected it to be, but
> with the touristic kind..
> I also believe he wanted to have the connection with 'amazing' too..

> [...]

Diego R. Canabarro
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597

--
diego.canabarro [at] ufrgs.br