[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Jul 10 07:36:35 EDT 2013

On 09.07.13 19:03, Chaitanya Dhareshwar wrote:
> Wouldnt the infinite combinations reduce the value of domains to dust?
> This would destroy the domain trading marketplaces in minutes. It'll
> also eliminate squatters which is good, but on the other side... not
> so good. Just my 2c.

By the way, domain names (and IP addresses for that matter) never had
any value as such. These are just strings of characters and numbers,
respectively.

It is the management of the domain that creates any value. Therefore a
well managed 'somename' in .mediocretld might be way more valuable than
'somename' in poorly managed .greattld. The value in domain names is not
'natural' -- it comes from someone's hard work.
This by the way is a good answer to someone who claims domain names are
'natural resource' and therefore subject to deliberate regulation.

 From another perspective, amazon.com is only "good" because of all the
infrastructure behind it. If they chose so at the time, the same
infrastructure could sit behind say garbage.com and the "name" would be
just as attractive. 'amazon' in this case is not even an 'telling' word,
they could have used 'onlinetrading', no? :)

Daniel