[governance] governments-target-tech-giants-tax-avoidance

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Jul 6 11:06:41 EDT 2013

You will find that even OECD guidelines are not adopted wholesale by any country that adopts them - they will specifically sign on to parts that they find acceptable, or specifically disclaim any that they don't accept.

As for the tax framework language, again - it entirely rests with countries whether or not they are to accept the language in them.  Quibbling about the wording's origins is as unproductive an exercise as is possible.

In any case, India already signed it in 2012.  So this discussion and the quotes of rather jingoistic posturing by a particular offiical appears moot to me.

This seems to be yet another occasion where certain officials make certain statements (like Mr.Puri's article you sent across the other day) whereas the actions taken by the relevant ministry - in the form of ministerial statements, treaties signed etc, appear to tell a different story altogether.

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/india-signs-international-tax-treaty/article2842560.ece

--srs (iPad)