[governance] Interesting developments in India's cyber security policies

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Jul 3 06:53:13 EDT 2013

There is also mention of adoption of open standards - which has also been emphasized in the past by various sections of GoI

Participation in existing standards processes and working groups is key though.  Both participation by government and facilitating / encouraging the participation of other stakeholders.

These and several others are unfortunately old wine in a new bottle, right now.

What is urgently lacking is a privacy law - which is required urgently because of a huge privacy vacuum in India (with marketers getting hold of ID proof and other personal data submitted to service providers, cases of data theft from call centers etc - not to mention the current and proposed monitoring and lawful intercept efforts the government has in plan)

I know that industry groups and civil society are collaborating on creating suggested drafts of a privacy bill, but there has also been a long standing tendency among certain parts of the bureaucracy to completely ignore public feedback, or if they have a feedback / consultation phase at all, make it perfunctory, with comments only from a few invited people and organizations.

--srs (iPad)