[bestbits] [governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jan 31 04:01:15 EST 2013

On 31/01/13 05:15, Joana Varon wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply after the sympathy some have expressed on
> drafting a letter highlighting the promises of Dr Touré at the WCIT SC
> meeting. I was approaching the Brazilian government for support on our
> demand for space and participation of civil society organizations on
> ITU processes.
>
> Though showing solidarity with the cause, Brazilian government (or our
> telecom regulatory agency responsible for representing the country at
> ITU) has signaled that WTPF is not the proper sphere to submit
> extensive contribution regarding CS participation, the plenipotentiary
> would be so. So, as far as I know, Brazil will submit a contribution
> to WTPF only generally speaking about openness and transparency, but
> not presenting a particular proposal for change in the mechanisms for
> civil society participation.
>
> In that sense, they have also addressed the existence of Informal
> Experts Group for WTPF, highlighting that:
>
> Well, this is surely not satisfactory, so, with that in mind, I wonder
> if we should go for that joined CS letter focusing on WTPF and
> stressing previous commitments from the Secretary General, do we still
> have time? Or, for the ones how are more aware of UN bodies internal
> procedures, do we have to wait the loooong time for the plenipot? What
> could we grasp right now?

(I'm quoting almost your whole message because I intend on forwarding my
reply to the wcit12 list too, as an almost identical discussion is going
on there.)

The deadline for comments on the Secretary General's report is tomorrow,
so we may be hard pressed to do anything by then!  Having said that, we
could ask for special dispensation to contribute a belated submission,
as was granted for the Best Bits statement to WCIT.

Personally I am unlikely to have time to take the lead on a letter but I
am supportive of the idea and would have comments to give on a draft if
say you or Emma from CDT were to send some draft text.  The IGC has not
successfully done a statement for a while, and Best Bits is in
transition (watch this space), so probably it would probably not be
under either of those umbrellas, but rather a generic civil society
letter to which groups could sign on.

I agree that the invitation to participate in the IEG is no substitute,
though for those who can, good on them.  Avri said she is on the group
and there is CDT, but unless you count ISOC (I don't), there is no other
civil society that I know of.  Doubtless largely due to the lack of
funding, as always (that's why I won't be there).

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational