[bestbits] [governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Wed Jan 30 16:15:55 EST 2013

Dear Wolfgang, Anriette, Deborah, Jeremy and all,

Sorry for the late reply after the sympathy some have expressed on drafting
a letter highlighting the promises of Dr Touré at the WCIT SC meeting. I
was approaching the Brazilian government for support on our demand for
space and participation of civil society organizations on ITU processes.

Though showing solidarity with the cause, Brazilian government (or our
telecom regulatory agency responsible for representing the country at ITU)
has signaled that WTPF is not the proper sphere to submit extensive
contribution regarding CS participation, the plenipotentiary would be so.
So, as far as I know, Brazil will submit a contribution to WTPF only
generally speaking about openness and transparency, but not presenting a
particular proposal for change in the mechanisms for civil society
participation.

In that sense, they have also addressed the existence of Informal Experts
Group for WTPF, highlighting that:

"At its session in 2012, the Council agreed that all relevant stakeholders
should participate in the work of the IEG so as to contribute their unique
perspective to the preparatory process, based on the roles and
responsibilities that the stakeholders may have under Paragraph 35 of the
Tunis Agenda (2005). Consequently, participation in the work of the IEG
will be open to stakeholders in accordance with Council decision, taking
into account Decision 562 and the need to maintain a balanced group of
experts, and also room and seating capacity for IEG meetings at ITU
headquarters in Geneva. Relevant stakeholders are invited to express their
interest in participating in the work of the IEG by completing a *request
form. <http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Documents/request%20form.docx>"*

http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Pages/ieg.aspx

http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Documents/request%20form.docx

Well, this is surely not satisfactory, so, with that in mind, I wonder if
we should go for that joined CS letter focusing on WTPF and stressing
previous commitments from the Secretary General, do we still have time? Or,
for the ones how are more aware of UN bodies internal procedures, do we
have to wait the loooong time for the plenipot? What could we grasp right
now?

Kind regards,

Joana

Joana Varon Ferraz
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade (CTS-FGV)
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts/
 <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/goog_946507056>www.freenetfilm.org
@joana_varon