[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Jan 31 00:59:22 EST 2013

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 31/01/13 04:28, Nnenna wrote:
> >
> >  I will +1"Meaningful participation of all stakeholders in Internet
> > governance" but asking myself if "engagement" is not a better
> > expected result than "participation"..
> >
> > Hence preference for "Meaningful engagement of all stakeholders in
> > Internet governance"
>
> The word "participation" is used more often than "engagement" in the
> Tunis Agenda with reference to stakeholders, and I tend to like to
> stay close to the TA so that there is no room for argument.  Having
> said that, "engagement of stakeholders" is indeed used once, so I
> make this point only weakly.

My understanding of the words is that "participation in governance" is
stronger than "engagement in governance". If you engage but your
viewpoint and perspective gets ignored, possibly because it has not
been communicated successfully, you have engaged but not participated
in governance. You may have participated in a discussion but not
participated in governance.

When now the word "meaningful" is added to the picture, the above
analysis becomes less convincing. Still I think that
"meaningful participation in governance" is a better, more
powerful concept than "meaningful engagement in governance".

Greetings,
Norbert