AW: [governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jan 30 08:53:19 EST 2013

Hi Jeremy,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 29/01/13 16:33, Adam Peake wrote:

  snip

> I responded to this on the workspace at
> http://www.igcaucus.org/digressit/archives/79 where I said that I was not
> sure that relying on small groups to spontaneously self-organise will work.
> Experience shows that more active facilitation of the process is required.
> If it happens at all, then it may end up as all the ISOC people together,
> all the Diplo people together, all the Google people together... It is
> sometimes better to force people to engage with each other so that they are
> exposed to viewpoints that are outside of their comfort zones.  This is one
> reason why the Best Bits meeting worked well.

Thank you.

Yes, could see that happening: diplo might get its people together, or
ISOC's "ambassadors", or ICC-BASIS.  But what I'm suggesting now is
more the concept:  That there's a session in typical format so
everyone gets some general introduction to the issues, hears some
"expert" comment.  Then an opportunity (time/space) for stakeholders
to discuss freely.  Lastly all come back to plenary, hear/learn from
others, discuss their ideas, and perhaps this leads towards some
conclusion (or Rapporteurs try to distill ideas for taking stock, etc.
I think we know there will be resistance to "outcomes" ... and
compromise might be the only way to achieve progress.)

If the general concept's accepted then all kinds of things might
happen over that middle "free" period.  Might be structured, or might
not.  Some might pre-organize a workshop, might be your speed
dialogue, might be just people sitting around a table at lunch and
picking up on a question from the morning an running with it, might be
structured breakout groups.  We've a lot of time to think about how to
use the time and to warn about potential problems such as
mono-stakeholder discussion, I just hope the  IGC and then the
upcoming consultation agrees that trying something different is
worthwhile.

Adam