AW: [governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Jan 29 03:45:31 EST 2013

On 29/01/13 16:33, Adam Peake wrote:
> Morning: 2 hours of panel or round table ("experts" + a listening audience)
> Mid-day: Morning session closes with set of questions, challenges.
> Audience encouraged (as they wish) to join in small groups
> (self-organize) to discuss any/all issues raised.  Use social media to
> say where a group is, topics selected, language used, provide updates,
> etc etc.  4 hours including lunch.
> Afternoon: 2 hour plenary.  Groups come back to main hall and
> share/discuss (moderator act as facilitators,)
>
> Rapporteurs might attempt to identify outcomes, report in to a session
> on the last afternoon. Rapporteurs might be a small multi-stakeholder
> team, or an individual.

I responded to this on the workspace at
http://www.igcaucus.org/digressit/archives/79 where I said that I was
not sure that relying on small groups to spontaneously self-organise
will work. Experience shows that more active facilitation of the process
is required.  If it happens at all, then it may end up as all the ISOC
people together, all the Diplo people together, all the Google people
together... It is sometimes better to force people to engage with each
other so that they are exposed to viewpoints that are outside of their
comfort zones.  This is one reason why the Best Bits meeting worked well.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational