[governance] Towards an IGC Statement on RFC 6852 "Affirmation of the Modern Paradigm for Standards"

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Jan 28 20:11:14 EST 2013

Milton

On Jan 28, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> How are standardization processes irrelevant to IGF?
> My organization has sponsored workshops on DNSSEC and RPKI/BGPSEC, both of which involve IETF standards. Many other organizations, including EFF and CDT, have highlighted the nexus between standards and governance.

Nobody is contending standards are not relevant to governance or the IGF. (?!)  Some of us think the IGC should focus first on contributing to the IGF consultation process, which it has not always managed to do.  It's a bandwidth issue.

> Either we endorse the statement or we don’t. IF we endorse it and submit it to the consultation, it’s relevant.

The consultation is about the Bali agenda.  If we want to make a contribution saying standards should feature prominently on the Bali agenda and attach a statement about the IETF as an illustration of why then that would be relevant, yes.  However, it's not obvious from the conversation thus far that assembling a consensual statement on IETF will be easy to do.

BD