[governance] Facebook spent $4 million to lobby U.S. lawmakers in 2012

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 27 05:34:59 EST 2013

On Sunday 27 January 2013 02:23 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2013, at 12:52, McTim wrote:
>
>> Do we have a definition of global public interest?
>
> We, as in IGC?  I don't think so.
>
> I have a semi-tautological definition I use personally that works for me:
>
> That which the multistakeholders

Multistakeholders are who? Definition of MSism (multistakeholderism) is
by many orders less known and clear than of public interest. The 'public
interest' term has so much theory and practice behind it over decades if
not centuries.

> in a process determine by broad/rough/near consensus to be in the global public interest, is the global public interest.

How is this definition of public interest is better than say

"public interest is that which the public or people in a process
determined by broad/rough/near consensus (like national constitutional
processes are considered to be) to be in the global public interest, is
the global public interest.

And who determines whether ICANN is the process determined by
broad/rough/near consensus (among whom,when did it happen) or the UN is
the process determined by broad/rough/near consensus, or both partially
are, but then in what parts?

parminder