[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jan 25 11:55:47 EST 2013

Parminder,

On Jan 25, 2013, at 4:44 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> This is to say that root operators do not see themselves in any kind of public interest role, and do what they do entirely for  their own private reasons and interests.

I have no idea what role each individual root server operator sees themselves in, however I know that they do what they do for their own private reasons and interests.

> Well, if this is the case,  when an argument is made that US can indeed do an inappropriate changes in the root, hopefully we will from now on never be confronted with this argument that root operators simply wont comply

Interesting logic. It is well within the realm of possibility that a root server operator might view refusing to accept the outcome of the USG violating documented processes as in their "own private reasons and interests".

> If root operators cannot be trusted to follow public interest, then they are illegitimate occupiers of key nodes of a public infrastructure and we should seek to dislodge them.

"Illegitimate" according to whom?

> At least take an advocacy position against them, since advocacy preceded civil and political action.

An interesting viewpoint.

Regards,
-drc