[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 25 10:44:30 EST 2013

On Friday 25 January 2013 08:48 PM, McTim wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>> Parminder,
>>
>> On Jan 25, 2013, at 3:10 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>> ICANN simply communicates the root change decision simultaneously to all the 13 root servers, and also designates a specific time period in which the root change exercise should be done.
>> Ignoring everything else, I have some doubt that the current root server operators would be at all interested in taking on the role (and liabilities) you're proposing.

This is to say that root operators do not see themselves in any kind of
public interest role, and do what they do entirely for  their own
private reasons and interests. Well, if this is the case,  when an
argument is made that US can indeed do an inappropriate changes in the
root, hopefully we will from now on never be confronted with this
argument that root operators simply wont comply (I think both David and
McTim have made this argument.). This is the point that such a
discussion always reaches and stalls at.

  If root operators cannot be trusted to follow public interest, then
they are illegitimate occupiers of key nodes of a public infrastructure
and we should seek to dislodge them. At least take an advocacy position
against them, since advocacy preceded civil and political action.
> right, clear that hurdle,

I am asking for us all to try and clear all such hurdles, starting with
agreeing to a common advocacy position and sharing it with all key
actors. My question is: do you agree to sign on it or not.

> then convince ICANN to violate the contract
> that gives them their raison d'ĂȘtre

As above, it is a proposal for the IGC,  including you.... to take up a
position on this matter and advocate it.
>   and I am on board!

That is too convenient. You need to tell us whether you are on board at
the start of this process or not.... and not at the end of it..

parminder