[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jan 25 09:35:26 EST 2013

Parminder,

On Jan 25, 2013, at 3:10 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> ICANN simply communicates the root change decision simultaneously to all the 13 root servers, and also designates a specific time period in which the root change exercise should be done.

Ignoring everything else, I have some doubt that the current root server operators would be at all interested in taking on the role (and liabilities) you're proposing.

> (There may be some DNSEC related issues,

Yes there are.

> which I am sure can easily be sorted out by an alternative DNS security architecture.)

You'd probably first need to convince the root server operators that there is a problem that coming up with an "alternative DNS security architecture" (by which I presume you mean "alternative key management processes") would solve.  This might be challenging.

Regards,
-drc