[governance] today's Wash Post editorial

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 25 09:10:08 EST 2013

On Tuesday 22 January 2013 08:43 PM, McTim wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 22 January 2013 01:25 AM, McTim wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> I would have thought you would have been pleased that a neo-liberal
>> institution like the WashPost acknowledged that:
>>
>> "There are suspicions aplenty in the rest of the world that
>> this is the equivalent of U.S. control — suspicions that should not be
>> ignored. While the Internet cannot fall into the hands of those who
>> would censor and restrict it, the United States should put more effort
>> into remaking the current model so that it can serve what has become a
>> global infrastructure."

In politics pious statements count only for pious statement, unless one
has something to back them up - something like a real proposal for action.

>> I think this is actually a very accurate description of the consensus
>> of this Caucus.

Still, let me build on this. So, you agree that IGC has consensus on
making the current governance systems for CIRs such that "it can serve
what has become a global infrastructure".

In a previous email, McTim,  you had said that you would like "at some
point in the evolution of the process to remove the NTIA (US gov agency)
from the root changing procedure".

I have a simple proposal for doing so. Lets see if you and the IGC can
agree on it.

Every time ICANN makes a root change decision - which as the global
Internet names and number agency, it is its job to do - it does not
communicate it to the NTIA for authentication to then be forwarded to
the Verisign to make the necessary changes to what is called as the
authoritative root server, as is the current procedure.

ICANN simply communicates the root change decision simultaneously to all
the 13 root servers, and also designates a specific time period in which
the root change exercise should be done. Lets see if the US gov does or
does not follow the instructions from the legitimate bottom up
multistakeholder etc etc governance body to make the required changes in
the the 3 root servers that it owns.

In any case, since it has been often argued on this list that the non US
gov owned 10 servers, 4 (or is it 3) of them outside the US, are rather
independent in their decision making, we can certainly expect these 10
servers to religiously follow the 'legitimate' instructions form the
'legitimate' CIR governance body. That should be enough to keep the
global Internet up and running.

Through this simple change of process, very much in ICANN hands to do
(no existing US law can stop it from doing this) all the power and
authority in CIR governance would shift completely to ICANN, and away
from the US, gov, something which is such a big sticking point in global
IG discussions.

As a by-product, we will also immediately know how much is the US really
committed to multistakeholderism in global IG, a tune that it never
ceases to play in public, and which seem to have impressed a lot of
people who seem to completely believe US's words in this matter.

(There may be some DNSEC related issues, which I am sure can easily be
sorted out by an alternative DNS security architecture.)

Parminder