[governance] France Proposes an Internet Tax

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:17:12 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <
apisan at unam.mx> wrote:

>  Michael,
>
>  in the same "what if" vein... what if the clever boffins in the OECD
> have realized that there is nothing exceptional about money made over the
> Internet, and leave it to each country to continue to try to exact taxes
> from income, profits and rents, as the countries' laws, regional
> arrangements, multipartite and global treaties mandate and allow? Wouldn't
> they be even more keen in stopping gaps and diversion schemes than any
> participant in these discussions is? (you said they are clever, they are
> boffins, and they are in the OECD... the rest is my second guessing.)

Of relevance in this instance would be the *OECD Technology Advisory
Group*that comprises of Tax (Revenue Authorities) that conduct the
Professional
Data Assessment  and members from the Technology community namely:

   - USA (IRS)
   - UK (Inland Revenue)
   - Canada
   - Ireland
   - Australia
   - France
   - British Telecom
   - CISCO
   - Ernst & Young
   - Eurobit
   - European Certification Forum
   - Hewlett Packard Labs (UK)
   - Hitachi
   - IBM
   - ICANN
   - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
   - Mondex
   - National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) -
   India
   - Nippon
   - Telegraph and Telecom
   - Oracle

 They may also be truly concerned about maintaining the technical integrity

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala
P.O. Box 17862
Suva
Fiji