[governance] France Proposes an Internet Tax

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:38:48 EST 2013

As an aside and addressed to no one in particular, it occurs to me that for
those who are truly concerned about maintaining the technical integrity and
global seamlessness of the Internet should be looking to find appropriate
and globally equitable means for taxation of Internet related activities
rather than presenting ideologically based anti-tax posturing.

France may or may not succeed with this particular initiative, but behind
them are most of the other OECD countries and behind them is the rest of the
world looking to get some fair share from rapidly escalating Internet based
revenues.  Better to my mind to have a reasonable and technically compliant
plan in place than to attempt to play catch up as every country thunders
forward with its own national taxation scheme and chaos in some form ensues.

(Anyone want to bet that the clever boffins in the OECD aren't already
working in this direction?