[governance] Appeals Team - Call for Comments and Interim Findings

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 19 06:35:44 EST 2013

A few comments for the consideration of the appeals team. Although an id
to send these comments directly to the appeals commitee is provided, I
much prefer to make this comments publicly.

1. I think Suresh should be reinstated immediately because the
conditions of his 'removal from the list' are not met.

2. However, I will caution the appeals team against summarily
overturning a decision of a co-coordinator merely on technical grounds
without making any comments whatsoever on the substantive issues
involved. The problem is that there very often isnt a strict meeting of
all the required provisions for so many activities of the IGC. For
instance, even for the current Noncom process for selection of MAG
nominees, it is an indisputable fact that all the laid down technical
conditions for setting up the nomcom were not met. Does it mean that if
4 people were to appeal against the setting up of the nomcom, the
decision to set up the nomcom, and its subsequent outputs will be struck
down?

3. In the case of Suresh, technical conditions of 'removal from the
list' may not have been met. But a point for the appeals committee to
make a judgement on also is 'whether conditions of suspension from the
list are met or not'. Because, /in practical terms/, if Suresh is to be
reinstated within a month, the action of co-coordinator  has, till now,
only amounted to his suspension from the list. It may not be right for
the appeal committee to take too narrow a construction of the fact that
the co-coordinator pronounced the decision of 'removal from the list',
and simply judge it as wrong, doing nothing more. The committee needs to
address, and judge, the context fully of the efforts of the
co-coodinator to impose the necessary minimum decorum and orderliness on
the elist in this particular case, and corresponding the conduct of the
member against whom the 'removal' decision was given.

4. Accordingly, if on substance, and not merely on technical grounds,
the disciplining efforts of the co-coordinator are found appropriate,
the merit of the intent of her decision may still be salvaged by turning
the 'removal' decision to 'suspension' decision, whereby Suresh is
immediately put back on the list.

parminder