[governance] Notice to the IGC on Proposed Charter Amendments

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Jan 18 07:32:58 EST 2013

I almost let this slip.  Sala asked me to call the charter amendment poll by today, unless we need more time for discussion.  So let's just confirm, are we ready to call a poll on any or all of these proposed amendments?  I think I have the latest/preferred text for each below, but correct me if I'm wrong:

1. On selection of coordinators, add after "As part of the voting process the voter must personally ascertain that they are a member of the IGC based on membership criteria described elsewhere in this charter and posted as part of the voting information (i.e. a voter must affirm membership on the voter form in order to vote)."

...this text...

"Prior to voting the prospective voter must personally ascertain that they are a member of the IGC based on membership criteria described elsewhere in this charter and posted as part of the voting information (i.e. a voter must affirm membership on the voter form prior to voting)."

...then it continues as at present, "The decision to self-identify as a member of the IGC is a personal decision based on the criteria defined. A list of the self-defined member-voters will be published after the election with the results of the election", then another new addition...

"All ballots will include the ability for voters to abstain on any choice included on the ballot."

2. Under "Selection of Coordinators", regarding when elections are held, change "by midsummer (the summer solstice) to "by the end of that calendar year".  Also in "If events prevent an election by midsummer, it will be held as soon after midsummer as possible," change the word "midsummer" to "then" in both places.

Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer
Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.