[governance] US 2nd on Internet Freedom

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Thu Jan 17 10:15:10 EST 2013

Paul & Tapani,

The larger question is how verifiable, objective and replicable the results of the report are - or are not.

While the methodology and aggregate scores are public,  the individual scores aren't released. There is a bit of subjective basis - much more so then the authors of the report care to mention.

For example, the scores for the UK & US, in my opinion are far higher then would be expected given the serious violations of privacy, widespread surveillance and over criminalization of "computer crimes" that exists in the two countries.

It would be interesting to have an independent 3rd party use the same methodology and see if the same scores are achieved. Perhaps something that could be crowd-sourced.The results of such an independent review would provide quite constructive feedback not just to the report authors, but to the larger community that is involved in the area of digital rights metrics and methodologies.

regards

Robert

--
R. Guerra